Monday, April 14, 2008

Final Thoughts....Role of an Archivist





"[The archivist] exists in order to make other people's work possible, unknown people for the most part and working very possibly on lines equally unknown to him: some of them perhaps in the quite distant future and upon lines as yet unpredictable. His Creed, the Sanctity of Evidence; his Task, the Conservation of every scrap of Evidence attaching to the Documents committed to his charge; his Aim, to provide, without prejudice or afterthought, for all who wish to know the Means of Knowledge." (Jenkins, 1948). I loved this quote about archiving.

Over the past two months, my role has been to demonstrate the role of archiving on this blog. I learned a lot along the way and hope that you did too! I appreciate all who have visited this blog and commented. For my final entry, I have created my model of archiving. I wonder if anyone will archive this blog?

Jenkins, J. (1948) The societal role of archives. Retrieved April 14, 2008, from

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is a fabulous quote! It makes me think of the under-appreciated Clark Kent doing the heroic work of Superman.